Sunday, May 2, 2010

Reflective Synopsis

From Learning Teaching by Andrew Fidler

I was excited to have a university course about Information Communication Technologies (ICTs) as I felt confident with using technology. In the last 8 weeks I have been exposed to many new ICTs and experiences and I have had to rethink many of my previous ideas about technology and it’s applications. I had some prior skills in regards to the technical aspect of ICTs however I had no idea how to apply ICTs in an effective pedagogical way. In this synopsis I will discuss some of the effective ICTs I have encountered since the start of my learning journey and how I will utilize digital pedagogies to provide high quality learning opportunities.

Kearsley and Shneiderman (1998) have shown that engaging students is fundamental for effective learning to take place and they believe that technology can facilitate engagement in ways which are difficult to achieve otherwise. The emphasis is not just on the technology itself but rather on teaching in a digital environment, since it is effective teaching that matters (Yelland, 1999; Lyman, 1998).

Utilizing digital pedagogies can enhance educational experiences for students at all grade levels and increase learning gains as a result of improved online learning opportunities. Online study material gives students the freedom to study without stress, at home, in their own time and at their own pace. Maths Online is currently available free of charge to every secondary school student in Australia and looks like it could be a very useful tool for learning or reviewing mathematics.

According to Marzano and Pickering (2006, p. 189) when students "perceive tasks as meaningful and relevant, they are motivated to acquire the knowledge needed to complete the task. As a result, they may achieve a higher level of understanding and proficiency related to that knowledge." Also Dale’s Cone shows for learning that “The most effective method, the bottom of the cone, involves direct, purposeful learning experiences, such as hands-on or field experiences”. We can use digital technologies as a way of providing students with hands-on and authentic tasks that have real world value. I believe we can achieve more effective learning through using various ICTs in the classroom.

Blogs are a valuable resource and can be used in many ways. Teachers can use a blog to create an online location for students to follow to make sure they can access the required course work or contact the teacher if required. Blogs are very versatile so can be used to encourage students to be creative and utilize other technologies such as by adding pictures, videos or creating and adding an avatar into their blog. Blogs have a component for collaboration as each student can follow and comment on others blogs however I think a wiki is a better option for collaborative learning as it allows students to pool their knowledge and work together. I would either use this as a class wiki or break the class into groups and have a group wiki.

PowerPoint is a very useful tool for teachers and students to prepare presentations. The presentations can be created to included video, audio, text, images, charts and animations and can be very entertaining and informative if created correctly. There are many applications available to cover aspects of every subject. Google Earth is just one example and is a powerful visual tool for visualizing and presenting information tied to location. It can be used to teach aspects of many subjects.

By using effective ICTs in our classrooms we can create a learner-centred and supportive environment where the students are engaged in their learning. We can cater for diverse learners and learning styles through the use of technology. During my school placement my mentor Teacher is offering his Year 9 mathematics class a computer room lesson as a reward if the students behave and they are very keen to use the computers so this shows many current students are very keen to use ICTs. An Interactive White Board (IWB) looks to be an excellent tool to involve students in the lessons and I look forward to using one in the future and I plan to have students navigate as much as possible as they will learn more with more hands on learning.

Teachers can use e.Portfolios, like Mahara, as a source of information and resources for learning or as a portfolios on students and their results as a beginning to a life long learning portfolio. Parents or new teachers can use the e.Portfolio to check the child progress keep track of their child’s achievements and it can become an excellent way of keeping track of students work.

Throughout this course I have started to learn about integrating technology into my future teaching areas to provide high quality learning opportunities for my students. It is important to recognize technology is not infallible, the power can go out, computers can get virus’s and things may just not work. My first Voki avatar I created just stopped loading up on my Blog. I think it’s important to have adequate teaching skills to teach without digital assistance have a backup plan if required (as per Mahara discussion). Also technology can rapidly change and as educators we need to continue to learn, use the best available teaching resources and digital pedagogical practices possible. We also need to prepare our students for their careers and life outside of school. This is only the start of my own lifelong learning in the usage of ICTs for teaching.


References

Kearsley, G., & Shneiderman, B. (1999). Engagement Theory: A framework for technology-based teaching and learning. http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm

Lyman, H. (1998). The promise and problems of English on-line: A primer for high school teachers. English Journal, 87 (1), 56-62.

Marzano, J & Pickering, D (1997) Dimensions of Learning: Teacher's Manual 2nd Ed. McRel, Colorado, USA.

Yelland, N. (1999). Reconceptualising schooling with technology for the 21st century: Images and reflections. Information Technology in Childhood Education Annual, 1, 39-59.

Active Learning Online “Dales Cone”
http://www.acu.edu/cte/activelearning/whyuseal2.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment